Monday, January 21, 2008

Anam Cara

I moved this weekend. It should have been awful. My couch didn't fit through the door, so I am sitting on the cushions on the floor. The Boiler in the new place turns on so violently it shakes my whole apartment. The water temp in the shower goes from comfortably warm to scalding to freezing without notice. In general your basic moving nightmare. Instead of it being awful though...it was awesome. My friend showed up out of the blue and went out with me in my new town and confirmed that my fear that it is yuppie hell might be justified. My across the hall neighbor is hysterical and a total player who is obviously confused by me. My co worker showed up with no notice and took my couch to his garage and then I got to talk to my college roommate for hours while I nested and festered on my neurosis. Another co worker showed up and helped me unpack.

I think I had an unidentified fear that the fact that I was moving again alone meant that this is the way it will be forever. Instead it turned into this amazing reminder of how incredibly not alone I am in the world. IT was as they say, beautiful.


What is Anam Cara: "According to Celtic spiritual tradition, the soul shines all around the body like a luminous cloud. When you are very open ~ appreciative and trusting ~ with another person, your two souls flow together. This deeply felt bond with another person means you have found your anam cara, or 'Soul Friend.' Your anam cara always beholds your light and beauty, and accepts you for who you truly are. In Celtic spirituality, the anam cara friendship awakens the fullness and mystery of your life. You are joined in an ancient and eternal union with humanity that cuts across all barriers of time, convention, philosophy, and definition. When you are blessed with an anam cara, the Irish believe, you have arrived at that most sacred place: ~HOME~"

No comments:

Post a Comment