Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It's only entertainment

Some people are aware that I am mildly obsessed with all things Hollywood. I have ridiculously arcane gossip on a depressingly wide array of celebrities for no justifiable reason. I say, if you want to understand the world we live in, watch how we portray it and who we pick to portray it. Obviously there are numerous dissertations on the impact of media on people's perceptions of the world we live in.....yadda yadda yadda....

I have a friend and she's been telling me to watch Studio 60 for several weeks now. I finally watched it tonight and the overwhelming power of storytelling made me cry. They had musicians from New Orleans playing msuic to back drop of a photo montage of New Orleans and its people.

We sat by and let a city drown. The news never mentions it anymore, except occasionally to tell us about the criminality, the displaced "people" (read black and poor) impact on the "quiet" (read white and not poor) towns they went to, and how no one anywhere (read Federal, State or local government) can or will do anything about it. We watched as one our greatest, most creative, talented cities drowned. And old shallow Hollywood is working to remind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment