Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Actually, hell is other people

"Hard as I find it to navigate friendship, I'm lucky to have so many people I can call friends. But what about those who don't? What about those with only two confidantes, a couple of close friends? I don't see why that should be an indication that we're more socially isolated -- for some people, voluntary loneliness isn't so lonely after all. As Daniel Nester's mother always told him, 'If you find one friend in your life, you're lucky.' "

I'm working from home today due to my project mates infecting me with their colds. As I sit in seemingly forever in a room with people I won't know six months from now, the nature of friendship is being brought into particularly sharp focus. I definitely have more than one friend in life and am glad I can be considered lucky:)

No comments:

Post a Comment