Thursday, February 08, 2007

moments of happiness

Happiness is an emotional or affective state that is characterized by feelings of enjoyment and satisfaction. As a state and a subject, it has been pursued and commented on extensively throughout world history. This reflects the universal importance that humans place on happiness.

Life is fickle and ephemeral by nature, so knowing this I strive constantly to appreciate moments of happiness. This is one of those moments. I've had a lovely dinner with nice wine from Chile. Good music is coming from my iTunes and I am reading a good book. I am far away from the people who give me roots and identity, but I feel intimately connected to them. I am overwhlemed by my job, but thrilled by the methods it is overwheming. There are people and places and smells that in concert define these moments. So that I am having such a moment in a far off land with no instigation whatsoever makes me even more in awe of life. My life has not been obvious or easy, but I am deeply grateful that it is my life and that I can, be proud of how I have spent my time so far. The time we get is a gift, only it doesn't "feel" that way often. So tonight as I look out at Mexico City and hope that I finally fall asleep tonight, I wanted to remember this moment. If only because there are so many moments not remembered or written down that we don't properly remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment