Hyperactive Child Medicated to Death
Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 07:20:59 AM PST
This is an extremely sad story that only gets worse as more details emerge. A four year old girl has died of a drug overdose. The drugs were given to her by her own parents on the advice of a family doctor.
The autopsy revealed that Rebecca Riley died of a lethal combination of drugs. The Rileys are accused of giving her too much Clonidine, a drug used to treat hyperactivity. When she was just 2 1/2 years old, a Boston psychiatrist diagnosed her with bi-polar disorder.
For anyone familar with BPD the first question would probably be, "how the hell do you recognized bi-polar disorder in a 2 year old?" In this case the diagnosis was made largely on genetic predisposition. Why was a diagnosis like this necessary? Well there's the possiblity it was all for medical insurance...