Tuesday, June 06, 2006

It feels true

"I'm just hypothesizing here, but as someone who grew up in the shadow of the backlash, I absorbed the message that the odds are against actually finding a man worth marrying when I was old enough to feel ready for it. The hysteria in the 80s that women's independence meant
that there would be huge numbers of independent, unmarried women resulted in people wrapping their minds around the idea that there could be this new creature, the confirmed bachelorette. And the word "if" crept into the vocabulary of straight women of my generation when we spoke of marriage and children in the future. Threatening women with the possibility of never getting married might have worked better if women really had to rely on marriage for a secure future. It'd be interesting to see if there's any proof that the backlash might have just backfired a little. "

I still wonder if I never expected to get married because of ambivalence about marriage or if I was just convinced that women like me don't "get" to get married.

No comments:

Post a Comment