Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Slavery auctions in airports in London...seriously

"A CPS conference on Monday is to discuss airport crime, and its director in west London, Nazir Afzal, said: 'Criminal activity at the UK's airports is on the increase.
'We are now seeing 'slave auctions' being held in public places at airports where brothel keepers are bidding for women destined for prostitution.'
One auction had taken place outside a coffee shop in the arrivals hall at Gatwick Airport, the CPS said. Others were believed to have been staged at Heathrow, Stansted and other UK airports, it added.
Ministers earlier this year set out proposals to boost action against sex trafficking gangs. "

1 comment:

  1. I recently recieved an e-mail from the author of this blog: "Do you ever read my blog? I've never seen you somment." Well, I've never seen myself somment either. I don't even know what sommenting is. Nevertheless, I feel I owe it to Phaedras to weigh in on some of these weighty issues. Like slavery.

    Slavery is bad.

    Slave trading in LGW, on the other hand, is just weird. I've been through LGW twice, you see the hustle and bustle, suits and saris, families and lovers and business travellers. And you wonder sometimes about the inner worlds, the history, the psychology, the lives that all these people have led that have led them to this crossroads and clearinghouse, crossing my path, but just barely.

    I mean, we're all human -- how foreign can another person's life be? So when I say I wonder, I mean I wonder idly, in passing. And then I look away, and open up my book and get lost in a fictional world that is so much tidier and logical.

    So maybe I was seeing a slave... Maybe I smiled as I walked past, hoping the cute girl would smile back at me. And then I went and changed a few dollars, and got a whole grain roll and some cheese and some grapes and mineral water for my stopover, thinking to myself, damn, British airports are great, they've got real food and everything.

    ReplyDelete